- Rhetorical questions
- Definitions quoted directly from dictionaries
- References to poets and/or poetry
- References to the poet themselves as a poet
- Ekphrasis that relies too heavily upon familiarity with the art being written about
- Epigrams that are rhetorical questions
6 thoughts on “Things that I do not like to see in poems, some of which I have used in my own poems, thus paving the way for both self-contempt and creative crisis:”
Well, that narrows the field for your reading list then!
On further reflection, I think we might have to delete ‘polemic’ from the list! LOL
I would refer you to the second half of this post’s title, John.
Great list. I’d also add references to The Odyssey, The Iliad and name-dropping of Greek gods.
I don’t mind a bit of Greek Goddage myself.